When I sit down at a Mexican restaurant, they just can’t bring (or refill) the chips fast enough. The part I do not love? With every chip – and there are always many – I think about the deep fry. So much deep fry. This cannot be rectified when dining out, but when at home, this recipe is perfect to satisfy your own craving or serve to company. I promise everyone will think you are a total chef if you make your own chips! As healthy as the corn tortillas you use, with just an added spray of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt, another benefit I have found – besides the intense crunch that stands up to any salsa soak – is portion control. The way I cut the tortillas, there are 6 wedges to one 6″ round tortilla, and I will only bake the number that I want to eat at one time.
– 3 corn tortillas, 6″ round (I prefer Whole Foods 365 Organic Yellow Corn Tortillas)
– spray olive oil
– pinch of kosher salt
How do I make it?
- Preheat your oven to 325.
- Stack the tortillas. Using a large chef’s knife – or kitchen shears if you prefer – cut the tortillas in half into semi-circles. Stack the two halves together, and make two more cuts, slicing the semi-circle into three wedges.
- Lay the wedges on a large rimmed cookie sheet in a single layer. Lightly spray the wedges with olive oil, and lightly sprinkle the salt on top.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until the tortillas are slightly browned and almost crisp. Remove the cookie sheet from the oven and flip the chips over. Return to the oven and bake for 5 minutes more. Test the chips by breaking one in half – if there is any resistance, bake it for another minute or two and test again.
- Serve with salsa, guacamole, queso, roasted red pepper dip… the possibilities are endless.
More info please?
This recipe is courtesy of my mom, which she will think is funny.
Sometimes I bake the tortillas whole, and just break it with my hands into pieces before I eat – not as pretty, but a little faster!
In a new, sealed bag or wrapped well, corn tortillas can be stored in the freezer for months – you can always have the ingredients for fresh chips available!