Looking to spice up breakfast this weekend? Chicken Chorizo Tacos it is.
Looking for something lighter? Use egg whites and butter lettuce for fresh, crisp lettuce cups instead.
No real recipe here, just some steps to follow and ingredients to compile. This post is inspired by a brunch I had recently from the gluten-free menu at Firefly in Washington D.C.
I used raw chicken chorizo sausages from the butcher’s case at Whole Foods; in case you were wondering (like me), each sausage weighed 1/4 lb. Just cut the the casing (either down the length of the sausage, or just cut the sausage in half across the middle) and squeeze out the sausage. Sautee in a pan, breaking it up as you cook. I added a bit of diced sweet onion for crunch – and because I generally like sweet onion in or on everything. Some chorizo is sold pre-cooked. For this dish; make sure you purchase the raw variety so you can crumble and brown it.
Serve the chicken chorizo in fresh flour tortillas or butter lettuce, topped with scrambled egg or whites, pico de gallo, cilantro, and guacamole.
- 2 chicken chorizo sausages (raw)
- ¼ sweet onion, diced
- 2 scrambled eggs or 4 scrambled egg whites
- Flour tortillas
- Butter lettuce
- Pico de gallo
- Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. When it is warm, add the chorizo and the onion, breaking up the chorizo as it browns.
- In a separate skillet, or in the same skillet after you are done cooking the chorizo and have cleaned the pan, make the scrambled eggs.
- Serve with the toppings buffet-style, or if you have a fancy taco holder, pre-assemble the tacos.
- Enjoy a breakfast bowl the next day using the leftover odds and ends with some diced breakfast potatoes.
The leftovers are great to pack for a work breakfast!
I know I am teetering on too many pictures, bu I just couldn’t choose my favorite!
Tell me what you think!