Who doesn’t have fond memories of melting marshmallows and butter on the stove, hurrying to pour in and stir a big bowl of cereal, and pressing the mixture into a buttered pan. The sticky, sweet crunchies left on the spoon and in the recesses of the pot were a teaser of the final, cooled product. Rice Krispies Treats may be the ultimate shared childhood memory.
This recipe for Reese’s Puffs Treats is an “Oldie but Goodie” with two important twists.
- Reese’s Puffs Cereal instead of Rice Krispies Treats, and
- the MICROWAVE.
My mind was blown, really – I am not a microwave cook, by any means! If you have not had Reese’s Puffs, they are chocolate and peanut butter flavored. A bit much for a healthy and sustaining weekday breakfast, but delicious for a snack or dessert.
I was looking for a snack to bring on a recent day trip, and also to bring as a hostess gift to party I am attending this weekend, and this recipe came to mind. I found the idea on the cover of a magazine probably eight to ten years ago, and have made them a few times since. Time to focus on the recipe and blog it up!
I like the shape of the puffs – these differ from Rice Krispies Treats more than you would think. Give it a try!
The recipe on the back of the marshmallow bag mentioned only the microwave – I guess it has been a while since I made this type of treat, I recall there always being a stove option. I played with the recipe a bit to reduce the amount of butter and to get the marshmallow : puffs ratio right, taking one for the team and making a few batches. I also wanted a thicker treat than the recommended 9 x 13 pan would produce.
I used a large glass microwave-safe bowl (with a capacity of 8 cups) to melt the butter and marshmallows, and stir in the puffs. A 9″ x 9″ glass pan was the perfect size and shape for the batch this recipe makes. A one-bowl, microwave, no-bake recipe? Done. These Reese’s Puffs Treats were the perfect day trip snack to have on a long drive!
- 1.5 T butter, plus a smidge more for greasing the pan
- 20 large marshmallows
- 5 c Reese's Puffs Cereal
- Lightly grease a 9" x 9" glass pan with smidge of butter.
- In a large glass microwave-safe bowl (capacity 8+ cups), microwave the 1.5 T butter for 30 seconds or until melted.
- Add the marshmallows and microwave for 30 to 45 seconds.
- Remove the bowl from the microwave and stir the butter and marshmallows together with a silicone spoon.
- Microwave the mixture for 30 more seconds.
- While the butter and marshmallows are microwaving, measure out the cereal so you are ready to go.
- Pour the cereal in to the melted marshmallow mixture and stir to coat all of the puffs using the silicone spoon. Be sure to get down to the bottom, where there is probably a blob of marshmallow hiding out!
- Press the puffs into the pan using parchment paper or greased fingers, and let cool.
- When the pan is completely cool and you are ready to cut it, loosen the edges with a butter knife, and pop the whole pan onto a cutting board. Cut in 16 pieces using a sharp chef's knife.