Craving to make cookies
+ My offer to bake a snack for a morning meeting
Well, mandel bread, not “morning cookies,” but that is certainly a descriptive term for these chocolatey, crunchy delights. If you are not familiar with mandel bread, it is the Jewish version of biscotti. Have you ever wondered how biscotti is crisp on all sides? It is baked two times – once until it sets and browns on the top and bottom, and then a second time after you slice it – to cook the “insides.” Mandel bread is not as sweet as your average cookie – perfect with a latte for your morning meeting, or with a glass of milk on your couch watching The Voice before bed. (Guilty.)
– 3.5 c flour
– 1 t baking powder
– 1/4 t salt
– 3 eggs
– 1 c sugar
– 1 c oil (I have used grapeseed oil, and canola oil)
– 1 t vanilla extract
– 2 T orange juice (I used two clementines!)
– 1 c chocolate chips
– optional – up to 1/2 c toasted sliced almonds
How do I make it?
- Preheat oven to 350. Cover a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together in a bowl the 3 cups of the flour, and the baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar together until smooth and glossy. Then whisk in the oil, vanilla extract, and orange juice.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and the flour mixture until no dry lumps remain. Stir in almonds, if using.
- Add enough flour so you can pick up the dough – but it should be pretty sticky. Divide the dough into two pieces. Form each piece into a roll or loaf about 3-4″ wide and 12″ long on the cookie sheet. It may help to spray your hands with cooking spray to be able to better handle the dough. Place the rolls, side by side, onto the prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake in your preheated oven until the dough starts to brown, about 20 minutes. Remove the cookie sheet from the oven and carefully slide the parchment paper on to a wire rack so the dough can cool a bit. Leave the oven on.
- When the loaves are cool enough to handle, transfer the loaves to a cutting board, and using a serrated knife, slice the loaves into 1/2-inch thick slices. Return the cookies to the baking sheet, with one cut-side down.
- Return to the oven and bake until lightly-golden, about 15 minutes more. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack before serving.
- This recipe will make approximately 30-40 slices.
Original link: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/chocolate-chunk-mandel-bread/
Tell me what you think!