With my first bite of this dish, I had the distinct feeling that I had just found my way out of a side dish funk – a funk that I did not even know I had been in.
– 1 c cooked quinoa (any color, but red adds great color to this dish)
– 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (1/2″)
– 1 red onion, sliced into 1/4″ to 1/2″ rings
– 1 bunch of lacinato kale
– extra virgin olive oil
– juice of 1/4 lemon
– 1 t apple cider vinegar
– 1 t balsamic vinegar
– salt and freshly ground black pepper (optional)
How do I make it?
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place sweet potatoes and red onion on a baking sheet with rimmed edges. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper then toss to coat with oil. Roast for 30 to 35 minutes. When slightly golden, remove from oven and set aside.
- While the vegetables cook, prepare the kale. Remove the stems and chop the kale. In a medium bowl, marinate kale with a pinch of salt, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar and a drizzle of olive oil. Mix well, massaging the kale until it begins to wilt.
- Place the quinoa in a large mixing bowl. Add the roasted sweet potatoes and onions, and marinated kale. Drizzle a bit of balsamic vinegar and olive oil, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Toss well, distributing the warm vegetables throughout to warm the kale a bit, and serve warm.
Original link: http://meggsalad.com/2012/12/03/sweet-potato-kale-and-quinoa-salad/