With my first bite of this dish, I had the distinct feeling that I had just found my way out of a side dish funk – a funk that I did not even know I had been in.
Warm Sweet Potato, Kale, and Quinoa Salad
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (1/2" cubes)
- 1 red onion, sliced into ¼" to ½" rings
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch of lacinato kale
- 2 t fresh lemon juice
- 1 t apple cider vinegar
- 1 c cooked quinoa (any color, but red adds great color to this dish)
- 1 t balsamic vinegar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place sweet potatoes and red onion on a baking sheet with rimmed edges. Drizzle with a little olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to coat with oil. Roast for 30 to 35 minutes. When the potatoes turn slightly golden, remove from oven and set aside.
- While the vegetables cook, prepare the kale. Remove the stems and chop the kale. Place the kale in a medium bowl, and pour the lemon juice on the kale, massaging it in to the leaves. Add the apple cider vinegar and a drizzle of olive oil, and massage it in again, until the kale begins to wilt.
- Place the cooked quinoa in a large mixing bowl. Add the roasted sweet potatoes and onions, and marinated kale. Drizzle a bit of balsamic vinegar and olive oil, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Toss well, distributing the warm vegetables throughout to warm the kale a bit, and serve warm.
Adapted from: http://meggsalad.com/2012/12/03/sweet-potato-kale-and-quinoa-salad/
Josie M says
Tell me more about quinoa. I have heard a TON about it but have never tried to cook it or eat it (or maybe I have but dont know it.) How do you cook it? Where do you find it in the store? One of those foods I am intimidated by and dont know where to start w .
my utensil crock says
Sounds like a topic for a future post! Thanks for the suggestion. Stay tuned…