Could it be hotter outside? And could this dish look more refreshing?
And can you kind of see my reflection, upside down in the spoon?
Cool, crunch, mint, and quinoa … it even sounds refreshing. Toss this dish together for a summer BBQ bring-along, or keep a bowl of it in your fridge this week for after-work snacks. The flavors are traditional so it will pair with anything.
– 2 T extra virgin olive oil
– juice from one lemon, freshly-squeezed
– 2 garlic cloves, minced
– 3 c cooked quinoa, cooled (this is how much 1 c dry quinoa will yield)
– 1/2 c finely chopped seeded, peeled cucumber (I use seedless english cucumbers when I can)
– 1 tomato, peeled, seeded, and diced
– 1/4 c fresh mint, chopped
– 1/2 c flat Italian parsley, chopped
– salt + pepper, to taste
How do I make it?
- Whisk the oil, lemon juice, and garlic together in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper if you would like.
- To the quinoa, add the cucumber, tomato, mint, and parsley, and stir.
- Add the dressing, and stir to coat. Taste and season a bit more if you would like – start slow, you can always add more. That’s it!
Original recipe: Bon Appetit, February 2008, p. 16. I found the table of contents from the February 2008 issue, but they apparently did not post to this recipe online: http://www.bonappetit.com/magazine/toc/february_2008_toc . This recipe (like many of mine!) was in my stack of ripped-out magazine pages. I know you have one too!