It is so satisfying to me to make something hearty, healthy, and delicious from ingredients I always have on hand. This recipe can be made from items you can keep in your pantry, with just a few items from the produce department (and if you are like me, you usually have at least one onion and one sweet potato on hand anyway). The optional bit of avocado and cilantro for garnish are icing on the cake, but not necessary if you are in a pinch.
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can tomato paste (6 oz)
- 1 T chili powder
- 1 T cumin
- 1 t oregano
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained (15 oz)
- 1 can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained (15 oz)
- 1 box vegetable stock or broth (32 oz)
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into ½" cubes
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 c dry quinoa, rinsed and drained
- avocado for garnish
- cilantro for garnish
- Heat a small amount of oil in a dutch oven or large soup pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion, and cook until it starts to turn brown (about 5 minutes).
- Add the garlic, and cook for about 1 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, and oregano and cook for about 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the beans, stock or broth, and potato, and season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the quinoa and stir.
- Lower heat a bit and continue cooking for about 15 – 30 minutes, stirring frequently, until the potatoes are soft, the quinoa develops "tails," and the chili has thickened, adding water if it gets too thick.
- Top with avocado and chopped cilantro.
Adapted from: http://www.milkfreemom.com/vegan-quinoa-sweet-potato-chili/
p.s. I am not “vegan” or “milk free” – by far – but this vegan recipe by “Milk Free Mom” is one of my favorites.
foods for the soul says
I’ve seen some interesting chili recipes before, but none that used both sweet potatoes and quinoa! There’s so many ways to use quinoa (none of which I have tried, of course; I’m a bit of a latecomer to the bandwagon…), and this looks like a really fun one. I love all of the bright colors in your dish too!
my utensil crock says
I hope you try it and love it!
Hey! Always looking for gluten free recipes…I can’t seem to get on board with quinoa! But I like sweet potatoes, so maybe this one will be ‘the one’!
my utensil crock says
I don’t necessarily like the taste of a big bowl of quinoa, and myself struggle with finding ways to work it in to my food – I think you will like this one! Let me know.